There were hundreds of thousands, maybe millions, of worthy people who didn’t vote for “your guy”.
Demonize as you will, but here’s a reminder of some things.
People who voted for the other guy are NOT bad people. Sure, there are bad apples in any large group, but the vast majority of Americans are not bad people.
These people are NOT:
- or any other demonizing word you want to throw at them.
These people ARE:
- human beings with basic needs
- human beings with basic desires
- human beings with dreams
- human beings who want to be loved
- human beings who want to feel grace
- human beings who have families
- human beings who have different perspectives (a good thing)
- human beings who have different beliefs (also a good thing)
- human beings who have different backgrounds (also a good thing)
- human beings with many additional things that are beautiful about them.
A failure to recognize these things about other people, especially those who don’t see eye to eye with you, makes you the same thing you rail against (intolerant, bigoted, etc.).
It doesn’t matter who “your guy” is or who “my guy” is. We both (Democrats and Republicans) have players on our team who demonize players on the other team. The lie is that there are two teams to begin with.
There is only ONE team. We are ALL Americans.
The other teams play for China, Russia, Iran, etc. You’d be remiss if you thought otherwise.
The sooner we learn to embrace the good things about us and shed the bad things, the better off our team will be. A team full of players who constantly fight each other doesn’t win (or accomplishing anything meaningful).
So, what are the good things? Go back to the list (above). The greatest of the “good things” is love. Choose and show love. It’s the best thing we’ve got.