Last week was another blur. The world hasn’t quite ended yet, but it seems to be getting closer.
Women in Security Series
Brad and I are starting a Women in Security Series this week. This will be (at least) a four-part series where we’ll talk about the topic of women in the information security industry. We’ll have a special female guest each week to give us their experiences, advice, opinions, etc. At FRSecure, we work with some amazing women, and we’ll start the series talking with them. After talking with some of our own, and if things seem to be going well, we’ll reach out to other women outside of FRSecure for an even broader perspective.
Our first guest in the series is Renay Rutter, FRSecure’s Chief Operations Officer. She’s pretty much all around awesome, and it will be great talking with her this week!
Let’s get on with the show!
SHOW NOTES – Episode 84
Date: Monday, June 15th, 2020
Episode 84 Topics
- Introducing Our Special Guest: Renay Rutter
- Catching Up (as per usual)
- Recap of the 2020 FRSecure CISSP Mentor Program
- Women in Security
- Wrapping Up – Shout outs
[Evan] Hi everyone. Episode 84 of the UNSECURITY Podcast is upon us. Wow, it’s already mid-June! June 15th, 2020 to be exact. I’m your host, Evan Francen and joining me as usual is Mr. Brad Nigh. Good morning Brad!
[Brad] Brad does Brad.
[Evan] Brad, last week I mentioned that I wanted to do a Women in Security series on our show and you seem pretty excited about it. Well, I was talking about this for a couple weeks with a close friend of ours and an awesome business person, Renay Rutter. Renay has more than 30 years of IT and business leadership experience, and we’ve had the pleasure of working with her here at FRSecure for the past 2(ish). She’s currently FRSecure’s Chief Operating Officer, and she’s pretty much kicking butt. Welcome to the show Renay!
[Renay] Renay does Renay.
[Evan] We have a lot to cover today, and before we jump into the meat of the show, let’s check in like we always do. What’s up you two?
Quick discussion about last week, the weekend, family, safety etc.
[Brad] Brad shares his things.
[Renay] Renay shares her things.
[Evan] Alright, that’s that. Was it last week or the week before that we finished up the 2020 FRSecure CISSP Mentor Program? Ugh. I can’t remember.
Recap of the 2020 FRSecure CISSP Mentor Program
This was the BEST year yet, by far. Just some of the highlights:
- We had 1,444 total registrations at the beginning of class.
- There were three instructors this year, which made life a lot smoother (me, Brad, and Ryan Cloutier)!
- There have been 5,398 views of Session One.
- Already had a dozen or so people inform us they’ve already passed the exam!
- Renay (our guest) attended too!
[Evan] It was a great season and I’m pumped about what’s to come. The CISSP Mentor Program has been such a blessing for us ever since we started it 11 years ago. Huge thank you to our instructors, Brad and Ryan. Also, a huge shout out to the people behind the scenes who make this thing happen:
- Brandon Matis, FRSecure Content Marketing Specialist
- Lori Blair, FRSecure Senior Security Analyst
- Ryan Abraham, FRSecure Senior Security Analyst
- Chad Spoden, FRSecure Senior Security Analyst
A great team effort and a great success. Here’s to next year!
Alright, now on to our series topic.
Women in Security, Part One
[Evan] This could be the start of something cool. We’re going to take a big portion of the next four shows (or so) to get real and be honest about the topic of women in the information security industry. Do we have a shortage of women in our industry? If so, what’s the big deal? Why is the topic important for us to talk about? Lot’s of questions and I’m sure just about everyone has an opinion. Instead of people listening to our opinions Brad, we’re going to talk to the people this relates to the most; women! What better way to get a woman’s perspective on things than to talk to a woman?
Who better to start the series off with than Renay. Let’s do this.
- How you got into the industry?
- Your journey in the industry.
- Advice you have for someone starting out.
- Do you think we need more women in our industry and why?
- Opinions about the talent shortage in our industry.
- What can we do better in recruiting more people, and specifically more women in our industry?
- Whatever else we’d like to share.
[Evan] Thank you Renay. Good information and things to think about more. Much appreciated! How about some quick news stuff?
[Evan] Between COVID-19, the social justice things going on around the world, and everything else. Yes, there is plenty of information security news too! Here’s just a few stories to bring your attention to quick:
- Spies Can Listen to Your Conversations by Watching a Light Bulb in the Room – https://thehackernews.com/2020/06/lamphone-light-bulb-spy.html
- Billions of devices affected by UPnP vulnerability – https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2020/06/10/billions-of-devices-affected-by-upnp-vulnerability/
- Homeland Security warns over ‘wormable’ Windows 10 bug – https://techcrunch.com/2020/06/08/homeland-security-windows-10-wormable-bug/
Wrapping Up – Shout outs
[Evan] There you go. That’s it for episode 84. Thank you Renay for giving a great start to the Women in Security series. We’re lining up our guest for next week and it’s going to be a great show too! Either of you have any shout outs this week?
[Brad and/or Renay] We’ll see.
[Evan] Thank you to all our listeners! We dig all you folks (mostly). Let us know what you think about this show or share your ideas with us. You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You social types can follow us on Twitter if you’d like. I’m @evanfrancen, Brad is @BradNigh, and even Renay’s got some Twitter foo; she’s at @RenayRutter. The companies we work for are social too, heck everyone’s social nowadays. SecurityStudio’s Twitter is @studiosecurity and FRSecure’s Twiiter is @FRSecure.
That’s it! Talk to you all again next week!