For those of you who are offended by foul language, please stop reading OR continue reading at your own risk.
The Security Shit Show
You knew about this, right? Well, maybe. In case you didn’t, I’ll tell you a bit about it now.
NOTE: We’ve already done ten shows, I’ll post another article highlighting the shows we’ve done so far.
The Security Shit Show is a live video/podcast that three friends put together; me, Ryan Cloutier, and Chris Roberts. We’re information security veterans (some call us “experts”) with more than 70 years of combined experience who have a lot of shit to get off our chest. The information security industry isn’t all hunky-dory; we’re doing a lot of things wrong and people are suffering because of it.
You can be the “fly on the wall” or you can interact with us live (we keep the chat going).
Here’s the lowdown for our show…
The Security Shit Show
You can take this name two ways; either we’re calling security a shit show, or we’re discussing security shit on the show. The answer is “yes”.
Provide people with the real shit going down in our industry, and always discuss ideas about what people can do to make things better.
This is not a commercial podcast, meaning we won’t be hocking product or taking sponsors. We suppose this could change sometime in the future, but probably not.
Three experienced and (a little) crazy information security veterans talking real shit, unfiltered, and raw.
- This is no holds barred. The show starts fast with a topic, and the three experts get into the shit right away.
- Nothing but truth and honest opinion, coming from the combined ~70 years of experience.
- For each show, one of the three of us brings a topic.
- This rotates each show. For example, Chris brings a topic one show, Evan brings a topic the next show, Ryan brings a topic the show after that, then back to Chris again.
- First half of the show is raw, honest, hard, discussion about the topic.
- Second half of the show is cool down time which is probably good for Evan’s blood pressure. 😉 This is where we discuss ideas, solutions and advice for our listeners. If we don’t have any good advice, we’ll say it and ask listeners to give us some to share.
- Guests maybe occasionally welcomed.
- This is an adult show. Swearing is permitted, but not required. We’re just going to be who we really are. If we let an occasional “fuck”, “shit”, “asshole”, or “wanker” out, so be it. There are certain swear words that will never be used, but the three of us don’t use those anyway.
- This show isn’t politically correct, but it’s also not intended to offend anyone (except maybe those who need to be offended).
- There’s no racism, no religious BS, maybe a teeny-weeny bit of politics, but certainly no discrimination of any kind.
- The focus is helping people with our raw take on things and a sense of humor.
- Our information security industry is screwed up and helping to fix it is the ultimate focus.
We plan for a minimum of an hour, but we don’t really care. We’ll keep talking as long as there’s something relevant and (somewhat) valuable to say. When we’re done talking, we’ll be done talking.
Weekly. We do the shows live each Thursday night @ 10pm CDT.
If you can’t make the live show, the recording is available immediately afterwards here; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIt8MkGaS-y-BKGJ9wrirFA?.
The podcast is usually published on Monday mornings, and you can find these here; https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-security-shit-show/id1513813641
We’ll be talking to each other from the road or our homes. Chris’ home base is Colorado, and if you know him, he travels often (but not as much now with COVID-19). Ryan does an adequate amount of travel too. Evan, he’s random, so we won’t know where he’s at on any given day.
So, the tech consists of what we can bring around with us.
We anticipate a lot of activity related to our show, so I’ll try to post these things as they become available.
Follow us on Twitter
Not sure if Twitter is good for our health, but we do some tweeting everyone once in a while anyway.
- The Security Shit Show – https://twitter.com/security_shit
- Chris Roberts – https://twitter.com/Sidragon1
- Evan Francen – https://twitter.com/evanfrancen
- Ryan Cloutier – https://twitter.com/cloutiersec
Our first episode (“Security Shit Show – Episode #1“) was recorded on May 14th, 2020, and we’ve done another nine episodes since. Go check it out!
One more thing, even though Evan and Chris have badass beards, you don’t need to have a bad ass beard to be one of us. For one, look at Ryan. For two, there are many amazing information security ladies out there too!