Good morning! Happy Tuesday!
Thinking Brad is back again this week. I dig that because I dig Brad!
Last week, Brad was out feeling sick. This led to a solo recording of the UNSECURITY Podcast; go check out episode 96 if you want to hear me do my most awkward podcast yet.
Busy, Busy, Busy
We’ve been very busy around here, and it sounds like many of you are too. There are many good signs recently that the economy may be rebounding. The positives:
- Elections – although the next 50ish days are going to be chaotic, there will be some settling in after the elections are complete. Regardless of which way you swing (blue or red), the completion of an election cycle brings a sense of stability.
- COVID-19 – there’s been a lot of positive news about medical treatments and possible vaccines. The sooner we can put the pandemic behind us, the better. Once the pandemic is behind us (closer with each passing day), the economy should settle.
- Markets – the stock and housing markets have held there own through all the chaos of 2020. This is a good sign of good things ahead in our opinion.
Busy is good, and it would take a small book to tell you all the good things going on at SecurityStudio and FRSecure! SecurityStudio is well on it’s way to being a very healthy and profitable SaaS company and FRSecure is exploring expansion (acquisition, merger, and/or geographic expansion).
I sincerely hope you and your family are well!
Why Can’t We All Just Get Along?
Today’s topic is about our divisiveness in world today and what it means to our industry. We’ll be careful to be respectful of other people’s opinions as we navigate these waters, and this may be a good segue into a future series we’ve been thinking about recently; “Politics and Information Security”.
Let’s get on it. The show notes…
SHOW NOTES – Episode 97
Date: Tuesday, September 8st, 2020
Episode 97 Topics
- Catching Up
- Why Can’t We All Just Along?
- Wrapping Up – Shout outs
[Evan] Good morning everyone. Thanks for tuning in. The date is September 15th, 2020 and this is episode 97 of the UNSECURITY Podcast! I’m your host, Evan Francen, and back with me this week is my good friend, Brad Nigh! Good morning Brad.
[Brad] Good things from this dude.
[Evan] Well, you were out ill last week. How you feeling? What’s new?
[Evan] Regular listeners to our show know that Brad and I normally start off with catching up with each other. Let’s do it.
- What we’ve been working on.
- New things
- Security Shit Show Episode #18 – “Hands Up Give Me All Your Money” (about ransomware)
- Ransomware Contract
- Work From Home Security Policy
- Discussions w/CIS
- Incident response stuff
- Wizer webinar tomorrow – What Do I Do With Nothing?
- Indiana InfraGard Members Alliance Conference – 2nd Annual Education Sector Event
- Any trends or things to bring people’s attention to?
- Any news?
- General stuff and things…
[Evan] Did you get a chance to hear last week’s episode? It was definitely awkward doing the show alone for the first time!
Why Can’t We All Just Get Along?
[Evan] It’s crazy how much information security reflects life and vice versa. I’ve been thinking about what our next series should be, and I’m always interested in tackling serious topics. We’re in the middle of an election cycle right now and I can’t remember a time when our country has been more divided than it is today. Me being me, I want to talk about it with you (Brad).
What are your first thoughts about the divisiveness in our country today?
[Brad] Chimin’ in.
[Evan] Here’s what I’d like to explore with you:
- General divisiveness (political, social, information security, etc.)
- Intimidation/bullying for sharing your thoughts, opinions, disagreements, etc.
- When you find someone being a jerk or speaking/writing nonsense.
- Outside Influences to Information Security
- Today’s political climate.
- Where do we find facts vs. opinions?
- Within Information Security
- How do we think our divisiveness affects information security?
- Putting down others (competition, other professionals, etc.).
- The divide between us and the business.
- A couple of podcast reviews.
[Evan] I’m thinking about doing a series titled “Politics and Information Security”. We could interview special guests form both sides of the isle and get their opinions on all sorts of things. What would set us apart is respectfulness. We would do this in a way that respects opinions without attacking and bullying. This could be a great opportunity to set an example for others on how to discuss hot topics without beating each other up. What do you think?
[Brad] We’ll see what he thinks…
[Evan] The timing seems right to do a series like this. Alright. More to come on that! Let’s do newsy stuff now.
[Evan] Here’s some news I thought was interesting:
- Cryptocurrency exchange Eterbase hacked, $5.4 million worth of funds stolen – https://www.tripwire.com/state-of-security/featured/cryptocurrency-exchange-eterbase-hacked-5-4-million-worth-of-funds-stolen/
- World’s Largest Data Center provider Hit by Netwalker Ransomware – https://gbhackers.com/worlds-largest-data-center-provider-hit-by-netwalker-ransomware/
- Microsoft Confirms Cyber-Attacks on Biden and Trump Campaigns – https://www.ehackingnews.com/2020/09/microsoft-confirms-cyber-attacks-on.html
- Database mess up leaks 882 GB of ecommerce & dating sites data – https://www.hackread.com/database-mess-up-leaks-ecommerce-dating-sites-data/