The UNSECURITY Podcast – Episode 55 Show Notes
Here we are, show notes for the UNSECURITY Podcast, episode 55!
Last week’s show featured pioneer virus researcher and keynote speaker Kenneth Bechtel. We learned from his wisdom, and he also shared some of his recent struggles with landing a job. UPDATE: Ken informed us that he’s landed a job, and we’re pumped about it! If you know Ken, reach out an congratulate him.
This week we have another super special guest! Zoe Bundy, the teenage founder of Brainy Ladies is joining us. We’re going to dedicate the show to learning more about her, her company, and her cause! This is going to be amazing!
This is Brad’s show to lead this week, and these are my (Evan) notes.
SHOW NOTES – Episode 55
Date: Monday, November 25th, 2019
Our topics this week:
- World Meet Zoe!
- Who is Zoe Bundy?
- Introduction to Brainy Ladies
- What’s next?
- How can we help?
- Thanksgiving – What’s one thing we’re thankful for this year?
- New Show Format
[Brad] Welcome to the UNSECURITY Podcast. The date is November 25th, 2019 and this is episode 55. My name is Brad Nigh and joining me in studio is Evan Francen. Sup Evan?
[Evan] Things and such.
[Brad] So, Evan. You meet a lot of really awesome people on the SecurityStudio Roadshow. There are few, if any, that you mention with more admiration than our guest this week, Zoe Bundy. Before we introduce her, tell me how you met and your thoughts about what she’s doing.
[Evan] You’re absolutely right, by far the best part of being on the SecurityStudio Roadshow is meeting the people I get to meet. One of the most incredible people I’ve met is Zoe Bundy. She’s the CEO of Brainy Ladies, an organization with this super cool mission of helping more girls get into STEM.
I first met Zoe in November 2018 at Network Center’s nVision Conference in Fargo, North Dakota. Steve Marsden, FRSecure employee #3 ran up to me and told me he’d met the most fascinating girl who’s got this awesome mission to help girls get into STEM. She gave a talk at nVision 2018 and he was blown away by her poise, her ambition, and her mission. When we met in 2018, I put her in touch with some of the great women we have working at FRSecure like Megan Larkins and Lori Blair.
Fast forward to this year’s nVision conference, and I ran into Zoe again. She came by our SecurityStudio booth with her brother Grover. She’s still trucking along, making a huge difference in the world. I felt like we needed to get her on the show, get to know her a little, and help her spread the word about her noble mission!
[Brad] Awesome! Well, let’s introduce Zoe. Hi Zoe, welcome to the UNSECURITY Podcast!
Discussion with Zoe
- World meet Zoe and Brainy Ladies!
- Open, unscripted discussion.
- Getting to know Zoe.
- Questions we may/may not get to:
- How old are you?
- Do you come from a family with a STEM/technical background?
- How did she come upon her mission?
- What motivated her to do something?
- Tell us about Brainy Ladies.
- What plans do you have for the future of Brainy Ladies?
- How can we get involved with helping Brainy Ladies or you?
- What do her friends at school think?
- Does she recruit girls into STEM? If so, what works and what doesn’t?
- What advice does she give girls who have an interest in STEM, where should they go?
- What about girls who are struggling with STEM, what help can we give?
- If there was one thing you’d like our listeners to know about girls in STEM, what is it?
- If there was one thing you’d like our listeners to help you with, what would it be?
[Brad] Wow! There are tons of opportunities to encourage girls to get into STEM. STEM isn’t for everyone, but for everyone who’s got an interest, there’s plenty of opportunity! Amazing.
[Brad] OK, this is Thanksgiving week. We all have things to be thankful for this year, starting with you Zoe, what’s one thing you’re particularly thankful for this year?
[Zoe] She can choose whatever she wants or nothing at all. This is her time.
[Brad] How about you Evan, what’s one thing you’re thankful for this year?
[Evan] We’ll see what he/I say…
[Brad] Good stuff! I’m thankful for ______________.
New Show Format Discussion (quick)
[Brad] Next let’s talk quick about an upcoming show format change, starting the first of the year. We’re going to devote ten minutes of each show to anyone who’s looking for a job in the information security industry. You email us at email@example.com sometime before the next episode, and we’ll respond to you on a first come, first serve basis.
If you’re chosen, and the time works out, we’ll invite you on to our show to learn about you. Think of this as a quick 10 minute interview. We’ll work out the kinks between now and the time we kick this off, but we’ll have a standard format defined by then.
So, if you’re looking for a job, use us to help you get the word out! Stay tuned, we’ll mention this a few more times before we make this change official.
OK, now some news…
[Brad] There’s always plenty of news to choose from. Here’s just a couple of stories that caught our eye this week.
- Personal and social information of 1.2B people exposed on an open Elasticsearch install – https://securityaffairs.co/wordpress/94275/breaking-news/elasticsearch-social-information-1-2b-people.html
- Iran – Government blocks Internet access in response to the protests – https://securityaffairs.co/wordpress/94262/digital-id/iran-internet-access-shutdown.html
- Pavel Durov, the founder of Telegram advised users to remove WhatsApp from smartphones – https://www.ehackingnews.com/2019/11/pavel-durov-founder-of-telegram-advised.html
[Brad] Alright! Episode 55 is a wrap. Thank you again to Zoe Bundy from Brainy Ladies for joining us! We’re very excited to keep up with what she’s doing.
Thank you to our listeners! Keep the questions and feedback coming. We’re a little behind on responding right now, so please be patient with us. We love your feedback. Send things to us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you’re the social type, socialize with us on Twitter, I’m @BradNigh and Evan’s @evanfrancen. Zoe, how do you want people to socialize with you?
Follow SecurityStudio (@studiosecurity) and FRSecure (@FRSecure) for more goodies there too!
That’s it! Talk to you all again next week!