Hello 2020! What do you have in store for us?
In last week’s episode, Brad and I discussed some of the crappy things from 2019. It’s no doubt, we’ve got a lot of work to do in this industry. Now, in this episode, we’re going to discuss some of the great things we did this year as an industry, and we’re going to look at what 2020 should have in store for us!
We’re starting 2020 off right, and we have some cool announcements:
- Our good friend Ryan Cloutier has joined SecurityStudio!
- We’re writing a new book!
- I’m in Cancun (I guess this is sorta cool for me)!
If you’ve been listening to our podcast for a while, you might remember Ryan. He joined us on the show in episode 27, and again in episode 44. Ryan brings a wealth of knowledge, a refreshing perspective, and an unbridled passion for information security , and we’re jacked he’s on board! Ryan will be helping me and the rest of the SecurityStudio team reach K-12, local governments, and whoever else wants to get on board with establishing rock solid information security fundamentals.
I took off for my annual trip to Cancun yesterday (1/4) to begin writing our next book. This one will be co-written with Brad and probably Ryan too. The book is unofficially titled “Securing America” and it will provide an easy-to-use manual for building fundamental information security programs and habits in the most under-served areas; SMBs, local governments, education (K-12 and post-secondary), and home.
If you haven’t read my first book, I invite you to! You can either purchase it, or if you’re with us on our mission to fix the brokenness in our industry, contact me and tell me so. I’ll send you a free signed copy! P.S. I’m not publicizing this everywhere, so let’s see if your paying attention.
Yeah, this is year three for this trip. Year one was spent writing UNSECURITY. Year two was spent starting a book that I shelved (for now) about information security for normal people. This year, I’m starting this book (referenced above) and we’ll publish it sometime in Q3/Q4 of 2020.
We’ll cover these things (above) and some of the good things from 2019 in this episode of the UNSECURITY Podcast.
Brad’s leading the show this week, joined in studio by Ryan Cloutier. I’m calling in from Mexico, and these are my notes.
SHOW NOTES – Episode 61
Date: Monday, January 6th, 2020
Our topics this week:
- Exciting News.
- 2019 in review, some of the good things.
- What we expect 2020 to bring us.
[Brad] Welcome to the first UNSECURITY Podcast episode of 2020! We’ve got a jam-packed show for you today. It’s Monday, January 6th, 2020, and I’m Brad Nigh. Joining me in studio is the newest member of our team, Ryan Cloutier. Welcome Ryan!
[Ryan] Ryan does Ryan. Would you expect anything different?
[Brad] Joining us by phone from Cancun, Mexico is my usual co-host, Evan Francen. Hi Evan.
[Evan] I do me.
[Brad] Probably says something about Cancun and how he should be here too, or instead or me. Maybe he’ll ask about the weather, maybe not.
[Brad] Well, let’s get started. We have a ton of stuff to talk about today. Let’s start off by talking about you Ryan. Today is day #1 at SecurityStudio, right?
[Ryan] Says stuff.
Exciting News – Welcoming Ryan
Quick discussion and welcome.
- Questions that may come up:
- What will you be doing at SecurityStudio?
- What made you want to come to SecurityStudio?
- What are some of the challenges that lie ahead?
- We’re pumped that Ryan’s onboard, and we’re looking forward to great things!
[Brad] Alright, Evan’s down in Cancun starting another book. He’s getting it started, and rumor has it that I and you (Ryan) will be co-writing this sucker!
Exciting News – Another Book
Quick discussion about this upcoming book.
- Questions that may come up:
- What’s the point for this book?
- Who’s the audience?
- What’s it like to write a book?
- When can I get a copy?
- We’re jazzed about this book because it’s a way to get the word out and make an impact on people’s lives. The fact that it’s going to be a collaboration between the three of us makes it extra exciting!
[Brad] Alright, some cool things to look forward to in 2020 and beyond! Let’s take a quick look back at 2019 and find some positive news. As infosec people, we sometimes get caught up in the bad news, but there are many good things happening.
2019 in Review – Good Things
[Brad] I think I speak for both Ryan and Evan when I say that we love this industry. There’s plenty of brokenness, but the people in this industry are amazing! Evan has a say that he uses a lot; “information security isn’t about information or security as much as it’s about people.” Using this as a segue, what good things happened in 2019 that we can be proud of?
Some things to discuss (in a positive light):
- Is the information security industry more diverse now than it was at the beginning of 2019?
- How are the job prospects for information security practitioners?
- Are people more aware of information security?
- Are CISOs emerging as real business leaders in greater numbers?
- Is there improved collaboration among information security professionals?
- More people are beginning to focus on fundamentals.
[Brad] Let’s focus on progress in 2020 and we should each be asking ourselves:
- Am I making a positive difference?
- Are my motives focused on greater good or selfish greed?
[Brad] OK, no news for today’s show. We’ve discussed plenty and we’re looking forward to another great year! We’re also wishing the best for all our listeners. Let’s kick some ass together in 2020!
That’s a wrap for today’s show. Thank you and welcome to the family Ryan. Evan, stay out of trouble.
Next week, we’ll start to devote 10 minutes out of every show to help someone who’s looking for a job or career change. If you’re one of these people, get in touch with us and we’ll feature you as a guest on future episode.
Get in contact with us through email at email@example.com. If you’re the social type, socialize with us on Twitter, I’m @BradNigh, Ryan can be found at @CLOUTIERSEC, and Evan’s in his usual spot, @evanfrancen.
That’s it! Talk to you all again next week!