Well, it’s already mid-October and the election is 21 days (three weeks) away. Things have never seemed crazier or more divided, at least not in my lifetime. Good fodder for discussion in episode 101 of the UNSECURITY Podcast!
Work-wise things are also crazy, but good. Fourth quarter is always nuts for an information security company, and doesn’t matter is it’s consulting (FRSecure) or SaaS (SecurityStudio). Everyone is running at full capacity and finding life margin is a challenge!
Hope you’re happy and healthy! On the the show; I’m (Evan) leading this show and these are my notes.
SHOW NOTES – Episode 101
Date: Wednesday October 14th, 2020
Episode 101 Topics
- Catching Up (as per usual)
- Election Security
- Wrapping Up – Shout outs
[Evan] Hey there, thank you for tuning into this episode of the UNSECURITY Podcast. The date is October 14th, 2020 and this is episode 101. I’m Evan Francen, your host for this show. Joining me is my good friend and co-host Brad Nigh. Good morning Brad.
[Brad] Brad does Brad.
[Evan] I know we’re a day late getting the podcast out again this week, but holy cow we’ve been busy! We’ll try to get back on track next week.
Brad, I want to reiterate how I enjoyed our discussion the past couple of weeks about the social dilemma, a Netflix documentary about social media and its effects on society. Lots to think about. In fact, I’m planning to watch it again this week.
[Brad] He might comment here.
[Evan] So, what’s new? Tell us what a day in the life of Brad looks like.
[Brad] Cue Brad.
[Evan] I’ll share some stuff too (probably).
[Evan] As you know, we’re only 20 days from the election. If you haven’t registered to vote yet, you should. Go to vote.gov and check it out. Brad have you registered to vote?
[Brad] Cue Brad.
[Evan] I’m registered and ready to cast my ballot! The date is November 3rd.
There’s been much said about election security. A simple Google search of “election security” produces over 2.2 million results! Election security isn’t a new thing, even though it’s been front and center the past few election cycles.
There’s more to election security than protecting voting machines, so let’s talk about this.
- Election Infrastructure Security (CISA) – https://www.cisa.gov/election-security
- Election Security (Department of Homeland Security) – https://www.dhs.gov/topic/election-security
- Election Security (U.S. Election Assistance Commission) – https://www.eac.gov/election-officials/election-security
- Email and Internet Voting: The Overlooked Threat to Election Security – https://www.commoncause.org/page/email-and-internet-voting-the-overlooked-threat-to-election-security/
- Foreign Threats to U.S. Elections (National Counterintelligence and Security Center) – https://www.dni.gov/files/ODNI/documents/DNI_NCSC_Elections_Brochure_Final.pdf
[Evan] There’s a lot more to election security than infrastructure. What about voter intimidation, disinformation, and security after election night? We’re talking about disinformation on Thursday night’s Security Sh*t Show because this is a significant issue in today’s society.
Election Security Discussion
[Evan] Good discussion! Securing an election has never been more difficult. Let’s catchup on some news quick.
[Evan] Here are some recent and interesting news stories to talk about.
- John McAfee arrested on US tax evasion charges – https://grahamcluley.com/john-mcafee-arrested-on-us-tax-evasion-charges
- Five Eyes nations plus Japan, India call for Big Tech to bake backdoors into everything – https://www.theregister.com/2020/10/11/international_statementon_end_to_end_encryption_and_public_safety/
- Verizon: Just 25% of global businesses comply fully with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard – https://www.theregister.com/2020/10/06/verizon_pci_dss_survey/
- Hackers disguise malware attack as new details on Donald Trump’s COVID-19 illness – https://www.tripwire.com/state-of-security/featured/hackers-disguise-malware-attack-details-donald-trumps-covid-19-illness/
Wrapping Up – Shout outs
[Evan] Great! Episode 101 is just about complete. Thanks Brad, do you have any shout outs this week?
[Brad] We’ll see.
[Evan] Always grateful for our listeners! We’re behind on email, but we’ll promise to respond soon. Send things to us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you’re the social type, socialize with us on Twitter, I’m @evanfrancen and Brad’s @BradNigh.
That’s it! Talk to you all again next week!