UNSECURITY Podcast – Ep 100 Show Notes – The Social Dilemma Pt2
Hard to believe that this is episode 100 already! I’ll have to write a recap of the journey sometime soon.
Crazy things all over the place here at FRSecure and SecurityStudio. If you’ve been an information security consultant, or if you know one, you know that 4th quarter is a crazy time of year. Turns out, COVID-19 and 2020 is NOT the exception. We’re happily swamped.
Having said all that, we’re a day late getting the podcast out again this week. Not because we didn’t try, but because life and work get in the way sometimes.
Hope you’re happy and healthy! On the the show; Brad’s leading and these are Brad’s notes.
SHOW NOTES – Episode 100
Date: Wednesday October 7th, 2020
Episode 100 Topics
- Catching Up (as per usual)
- the social dilemma, Part Two
- Wrapping Up – Shout outs
[Brad] Welcome back! This is episode 100 of the UNSECURITY Podcast, and I’m your host this week, Brad Nigh. Today is October 6th, and joining me this morning as usual is Evan Francen.
[Evan] Talks about how busy things have been
[Brad] Last week we had a really good discussion about The Social Dilemma and we didn’t get to everything so we are doing part 2 today. But before we get going let’s recap our week.
[Evan] Evan’s cool story
[Brad] A recap of my week
the social dilemma, Part Two
[Brad] Okay let’s pick up where we left off. There are no shortage of takes on the movie, here are some I found interesting.
- The Social Dilemma Manipulates You With Misinformation As It Tries To Warn You Of Manipulation By Misinformation – https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20200928/11452045401/social-dilemma-manipulates-you-with-misinformation-as-it-tries-to-warn-you-manipulation-misinformation.shtml
- Facebook Issues Official Response to Claims Made in Netflix Documentary ‘The Social Dilemma’ – https://www.socialmediatoday.com/news/facebook-issues-official-response-to-claims-made-in-netflix-documentary-th/586351/
- Netflix’s The Social Dilemma highlights the problem with social media, but what’s the solution – https://theconversation.com/netflixs-the-social-dilemma-highlights-the-problem-with-social-media-but-whats-the-solution-147351
- What ‘The Social Dilemma’ misunderstands about social networks – https://www.theverge.com/interface/2020/9/16/21437942/social-dilemma-netflix-review-orlowski-sarah-zhang-memo-facebook-buzzfeed
- The Social Dilemma: a wake-up call for a world drunk on dopamine? – https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/sep/19/the-social-dilemma-a-wake-up-call-for-a-world-drunk-on-dopamine
[Brad] Great discussion here are some news stories
[Brad] Here are news stories that caught me eye this week:
- REvil ransomware crew dangles $1,000,000 cybercrime carrot – https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2020/09/28/revil-ransomware-crew-dangles-1000000-cybercrime-carrot/
- Serious Security: Phishing without links – when phishers bring along their own web pages – https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2020/10/02/serious-security-phishing-without-links-when-phishers-bring-along-their-own-web-pages
- Who’s Behind Monday’s 14-State 911 Outage? – https://krebsonsecurity.com/2020/09/whos-behind-mondays-14-state-911-outage/
Wrapping Up – Shout outs
[Brad] That’s it for episode 100. Thank you Evan, do you have any shout outs this week?
[Evan] We’ll see.
[Brad] Thank you to all our listeners! Thank you to our listeners! Keep the questions and feedback coming. Send things to us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you’re the social type, socialize with us on Twitter, I’m @BradNigh, and Evan is @evanfrancen.
Lastly, be sure to follow SecurityStudio (@studiosecurity) and FRSecure (@FRSecure) for more goodies.
That’s it! Talk to you all again next week!