Here we go. The show notes for episode 47 of the UNSECURITY Podcast.
I’m writing these during the Vikings/Bears game on Sunday. Skol Vikings! Yeah, whatever, I’m late, but I’ve got excuses. I’m late because things are sort of crazy at home right now. I’ll try to explain:
- I was in Bulgaria for a week (several weeks ago). My sleep was thrown off a little because Bulgaria is 8 hours ahead of us.
- My wife was in China for 10 days. This means that I was left to my own devices (not usually a good idea), and I had no backup for my 14 year-old daughter’s manipulation. Seemed like there were more kids at my house than normal. I don’t know. The house is still standing, so that’s a win.
- In the middle of this, I decided to quit smoking on Wednesday. After 30 years of 1-1/2 packs a day, I’m done. This is day four, and the withdrawals are a challenge (my PC word for it).
- My wife got back last night, and now her sleep is all wonky. She was 13 hours ahead.
So, let’s give this thing a go, shall we?
Last week was a blur, but I think we did some really good things! Brad spent the latter part of the week offsite with FRSecure’s Senior Management Team (SMT), doing some strategic planning. I spent most of my time working on some timely SecurityStudio stuff:
- Next week’s launch of S2Org.
- SecurityStudio Partner Jumpstart
- Roadshow preparation, hard to believe that we (me and John Harmon) hit the road next week already.
Do you know what we’re doing on the #S2Roadshow? Did you know that we’re using the “#S2Roadshow” hashtag? Do you know what S2Org is? Don’t worry if you don’t, we know we’ve got a lot of preaching to do!
Friday was highlighted by a great meeting with Minnetonka School District representatives (Mike Dronen, Executive Director of Technology and Dave Eisenmann, Director of Instructional Technology), Ryan Cloutier (repeat podcast guest and Chairperson of the Consortium of School Networking Cyber Security Advisory Panel), and Ivan Peev (SecurityStudio’s VP of Product Development). We discussed how we can work together to create a free S2Teen product for students and parents. There will be some great things coming out of this (eventually).
If you missed episode 46 of the UNSECURITY Podcast, here it is.
OK. Show notes…
SHOW NOTES – Episode 47
Date: Monday, September 30th, 2019
Our topics this week:
- Parents and Kids
[Evan] – Let’s do this. I’m Evan Francen, it’s Monday, September 30th, and this is episode 47 of the UNSECURITY Podcast. My guy Brad Nigh is here with me. Hey Brad!
[Brad] You know Brad. He’ll say something because he’s nice like that.
[Evan] I know you were offsite with the FRSecure Senior Management Team (or SMT) the last half of the week. I love how you guys set an example by working hard and playing hard. How was it?
[Brad] Cool things.
[Evan] So, late last week, I had this meeting. It was the first time I’d met this guy who runs the information security program for a VERY important organization. I can’t share the name because I don’t like to out people like that. Anyway, he has many years of information security experience and seemed like he had all the right things to say. As the discussion progressed, I could sort of sense that he and I didn’t see security the same way exactly.
He knew all the acronyms and threw them around like candy at a parade. He’s also very well connected and dropped a lot of names. We knew some of the same people, but this was the first time he and I had met each other. He went on to say how they’ve built a good foundation for their security program, and now they want to take things to the next level.
One thing that became obvious is we don’t think about the foundation or fundamentals the same way. Let’s talk about this.
[Brad] He’ll agree because he likes to talk about these things.
Things to discuss:
- What is information security?
- What is risk?
- If I hire you to “do” information security for me, what is the first thing you would do?
- What percentage of SMBs…?
- Discuss last week’s discussion
[Evan] The basics man. How many breaches do we see where it’s just the missing basics?
[Evan] Complexity is the enemy. We’ve all heard it before. Really, this is what the SecurityStudio Roadshow is about.
- Was called “Project Bacon”.
- Mike Dronen brought me some bacon!
- This week is Harrisburg, PA BSides
- Hashtag #S2Roadshow
[Evan] Quickly, let’s talk parents, kids, security, privacy, and safety. Maybe we can devote a whole show to this in the future. Maybe we can get a guest to join us.
Parents and Kids Discussion
- Last week’s meeting
- Some good resources:
- What we’re doing…
[Evan] Alright. That’s a lot to take in. Good discussion Brad. We could take any one of these topics and make it an entire show.
Here’s our news for this week:
- Rise of RDP as a target vector – https://www.helpnetsecurity.com/2019/09/25/rdp-target-vector/
- Google Takes Down Around 46 Apps by Chinese Developers from its Play Store – https://www.ehackingnews.com/2019/09/google-takes-down-around-46-apps-by.html
- Checkm8 – Hacker Published “Unpatchable” Jailbreak for Millions of iOS Devices from iPhone 4S to iPhone X – https://gbhackers.com/checkm8-jailbreaking-exploit/amp/
[Evan] There you have it. I’ll be checking in regularly from the road. We have a mission dammit! Stay tuned. Hope you’ll follow along.
Thank you to our loyal listeners! Shout out to Kevin! Thank you for your tips and feedback. We’re working on it. For the rest of you, send us your feedback by email at email@example.com. If you’re the social type, socialize with us on Twitter, I’m @evanfrancen and Brad’s @BradNigh.
Talk to you all again next week!