Happy Tuesday (again)!
There are always 100s of things to talk about each week, and if you’re ADHD* like me, you know how hard it can be to stay focused on one thing for too long!
Here are a few things that are top of mind right now:
- Security ABCs – I’ve been writing the information security ABCs the last week or two. This is a journey through the basics and fundamentals of information security. The “experts” can use the reminders and the inexperienced can use the direction (I think). The reception has been great so far, and I love the comments I’ve been getting, in my LinkedIn feed and on Twitter! So far, I’m through “D”. Stay tuned for “E” and “F” which are both scheduled for this week.
- Election is only two weeks away – Have you already voted or are you planning to? If not, shame. Every U.S. citizen should voice their support for who they want leading this country. If you’re like me, I’m not wild about either of the two leading candidates, but it won’t stop me from casting a vote for who I think is best (out of my limited options). Last week, we talked about election security in episode 101. The notes for that episode have some good resources in them.
- Disinformation is rampant – Last Thursday, Ryan Cloutier, Chris Roberts, and I opened our three-part series about election disinformation on the Security Shit Show. This first episode was titled “Disunited States of America (Election Disinformation)” and despite our share of technical difficulties, it was a great talk!
- Business is good – FRSecure is running at near full capacity and SecurityStudio is serving people well with simple, fundamental, and effective information security risk tools. Good things! FRSecure is hiring BTW.
Lot’s of blessings, despite the crazy society we’re living in.
*Speaking of ADHD, mental health is a serious issue in our society and our industry. Helping people with mental health disorders is important for all of us, and it’s a cause that I’m deeply committed to. This is the topic for today’s show.
On to the show! Brad is out with a sinus infection (or something), so it’s just me and our guest. These are my notes.
SHOW NOTES – Episode 102
Date: Tuesday October 20th, 2020
Episode 102 Topics
- Special Guest – Neal O’Farrell from the PsyberReslience Project
- Introduction to Neal
- About the PsyberReslience Project
- Mental Health Discussion
- What can we do to help?
- Wrapping Up – Shout outs
[Evan] Hi everybody. Welcome to another episode of the UNSECURITY Podcast! This is episode 102, the date is October 20th, 2020, and I’m Evan Francen, your host.
Unfortunately, Brad Nigh, my good friend and regular co-host, is out with a sinus infection (I think) today. So, it’s me flying solo, but not really.
I’m REALLY excited to introduce you to a great guy and tremendous asset to the information security community; Neal O’Farrell.
[Neal] Cue Neal.
Special Guest – Neal O’Farrell from the PsyberReslience Project
[Evan] Neal, thanks for joining us for the podcast. Tell us about you and your journey through the information security industry.
Topics to discuss (or ideas):
- Neal’s background.
- The PsyberResilience Project
- Its purpose.
- Why Neal started it.
- What makes it different?
- Current initiatives and goals.
- How can people find you?
- Mental Health
- What’s wrong with our industry, in terms of mental health?
- Have problems gotten worse, especially with today’s current events?
- Have we fixed/solved anything?
- Personal mental health issues.
- What do we need to do?
- What we’re doing together (SecurityStudio and the PsyberResilience Project
Discuss whatever else comes to mind.
[Evan] Thank you Neal! Great discussion and I’m thrilled to be doing good things with you.
Now, we’re at the part of the show where we review a few news items that caught our eye this past week. Neal, please feel free to comment anytime too!
[Evan] Just one large news reference for this week. From the Register:
First, Patch Tuesday. Now, Oh Hell, Monday: Microsoft emits bonus fixes for Visual Studio, Windows 10 security bugs – https://www.theregister.com/2020/10/19/security_in_brief/
[Evan] For the most part, I like reading the Register for news. Neal, do you have a favorite news source in our industry?
[Neal] Cue Neal.
Wrapping Up – Shout outs
[Evan] Great! Episode 102 is just about complete. Thanks Neal! It was great having you join us this week and I’m very happy to have you fighting on the good side. Once again, how can we help?
[Neal] Cue Neal.
[Evan] Always grateful for our listeners! We’re behind on email still, but we’ll get there! Send things to us by email at email@example.com. If you’re the social type, socialize with us on Twitter, I’m @evanfrancen and Brad’s @BradNigh.
Neal, do you have a way you prefer people get in touch with you?
[Neal] Cue Neal.
That’s it! Talk to you all again next week!